Chauffeur insurance is a type of commercial car insurance that is designed specifically for drivers of luxury cars who are carrying passengers and employed to look after their needs as well driving the vehicle.
This type of insurance provides financial protection in the event of responsibility for an accident, as well as peace of mind for both the chauffeur and the passengers.
Chauffeur services typically using a prestige vehicle can include:
- Chauffeur driven executive cars
- Car services provided by hotels and retail businesses
- Stretch limousines
- Prom car services
In the UK, there are three main types of licenses that you need to obtain to be eligible for chauffeur insurance:
- Private hire operator license – allows a chauffeur hire business to receive and negotiate bookings.
- Private hire vehicle license – needed for each individual vehicle in the business.
- Private hire driver license – required for each driver who will be driving.
The law currently states that if you are only providing car services at weddings or funerals, they are exempt from licensing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do you need chauffeur insurance?
There are several reasons, including:
- Financial protection: Chauffeur insurance can help to protect you financially in the event of an accident. This is especially important if you are driving a luxury car, as the cost of repairs or medical expenses can be high.
- Peace of mind: Knowing that you have chauffeur insurance can give you peace of mind, knowing that you are protected in the event of an accident. This can help you to focus on your driving and provide excellent service for your passengers.
- Increased business opportunities: Chauffeur insurance can help you to get more business, as it shows that you are a professional and responsible chauffeur driver. Many businesses and individuals are more likely to hire a chauffeur who has insurance, as this shows that they are taking the safety of their passengers seriously.
What is covered by chauffeur insurance?
The coverage that is provided by chauffeur insurance varies from policy to policy. However, most chauffeur insurance policies will cover the following:
- Liability: This coverage will pay for the costs of injuries or property damage that you cause to other people in an accident.
- Personal injury: This coverage will pay for the costs of your own injuries in an accident, up to the limits of your policy.
- Property damage: This coverage will pay for the costs of damage to other people’s property in an accident, up to the limits of your policy.
How much does chauffeur insurance cost?
The cost of chauffeur insurance varies depending on a number of factors, including the make and model of your car, your driving history, and the level of coverage that you choose. However, in general, chauffeur insurance is more expensive than regular car insurance.
How can you get chauffeur insurance?
You can get chauffeur insurance from an insurance company and should compare different quotes before you choose a policy. A broker, either face to face or online, can help you search the market for the best policy for your circumstances.
How to get cheaper online chauffeur insurance?
Tips for getting the best deal on chauffeur insurance includes:
- Compare quotes from different companies: This is the best way to make sure that you are getting the best possible deal.
- Get quotes online: This is a quick and easy way to compare quotes from different companies.
- Ask for discounts: Many insurance companies offer discounts for things like a good driving history or multiple vehicles.
- Bundle your chauffeur insurance with your home or business insurance: This can often save you money.